Applications and Clients
Applications are the external entities that are visible to the user. Internally
however, Razorpay OAuth works with clients that are identified by their
When an application is created on Razorpay, automatically two clients
that are linked to the application are created - a development and a production client. Each
client gets it's own
client_secret. The development client can
be used in your sandbox environment, or in the integration phase. The production
client can be used once you go live.
The differences in usage of these two clients are
The attributes of a client are described below:
- Publicly exposed identifier of the client, generated
uniquely. It helps identify your application on Razorpay.
- Privately shared string between the application and Razorpay.
The client secret should never be exposed publicly. It helps to authenticate the
identity of the application on server-to-server API calls.
- This is a whitelisted set of URIs, defined during creation. In order to prevent
man-in-the-middle attacks, production clients can only use secure HTTPS URIs.
The usage restrictions on development and production clients are as follows:
Redirect URI: Development clients can have any Redirect URI's whitelisted -
including non-HTTP and localhost. Production clients cannot use non-HTTPS Redirect URIs.
Mode Access: Razorpay provides two modes/environments where the merchant
can operate - test and live. While development clients can access both modes,
production clients may only access live mode data.
The first step towards building an OAuth integration is creating an application.
Only an Admin user can create applications on Razorpay dashboard.
To create an application,
- On the left menu of the dashboard, go to Settings and click Applications.
- Click Create Application under the Created Applications
- Enter the Application Name. The name provided here is displayed on Razorpay's
- Enter the URL of the application's website under
- Upload a
Logo for the application. It should be a square image. If no logo is provided,
a default logo will be used.
- Click Create to create the application on Razorpay. On success, the following fields are displayed:
Client ID and Secret (read only) for development and production clients.
Redirect URIs which are whitelisted URIs for development and production clients. You can define multiple redirect URIs.
- You can edit the Redirect URIs for your clients and click Save