If you are using Razorpay Invoices for the first time, you need to set the Invoice Label as Step 1 and provide GSTIN number as Step 2 (for GST-compliant invoices) before you get started with creating your first invoice. You can create Non-GST compliant invoices if you do not provide GSTIN number.
While creating an invoice, you can change the Invoice Label or create GST Enabled Invoices on the New Invoice page.
Watch this video to learn how to create an invoice.
To create an invoice:
- Log into the Razorpay Dashboard. If you do not have a Razorpay account, sign up.
- Click Invoices → +Create Invoice.
- A new invoice draft is displayed with your company name and logo.
- Enter a unique Invoice #. Provide a brief description or summary of the invoice.
- Under the BILLING TO field, select a customer by searching from the list of existing customers. You can also create a new customer while creating an invoice.
- Enter the ISSUE DATE of the invoice. By default, it takes today's date. Use the calendar icon if you want to select a different date as Issue Date.
- Click the calendar icon to select the EXPIRY DATE of the invoice. The Expiry Date is the date after which the customer cannot pay for the invoice. You can keep this field blank, in such a case, there will not be any Expiry Date for the invoice. You cannot select an Expiry Date in past.
- Under BILLING ADDRESS, the Billing Address as specified for the selected customer is displayed. You can change or remove this address and add a new address.
- Under SHIPPING ADDRESS, click Add Shipping Address. The Shipping Address that was added while creating the customer is displayed. You can select the existing Shipping Address or click Add new Address to add a new Shipping Address. The newly added address is added to the list of saved Shipping Addresses for the customer.
- Enter the PLACE OF SUPPLY. The Place of Supply is auto-populated based on the Shipping Address.
You can also select a different State or Union Territory from the drop-down list.
This field is displayed for GST-compliant invoices. This is a mandatory field as this determines the GST to be levied on the items.
If the PLACE OF SUPPLY/SHIPPING ADDRESS is of a different state from the BILLING ADDRESS, the tax is computed as IGST, or it is divided into CGST and SGST.
- Under DESCRIPTION, select an item, add the rate/item and the quantity. Click Add Line Item to add multiple items to the invoice. You can also create a new item while creating an invoice.
- In the Add Customer Notes (Optional) field, you can enter additional details, if any. You can add a maximum of 2048 characters in this field.
- In the Add Terms and Conditions (Optional) field, you can terms, if any. You can add a maximum of 2048 characters in this field.
- Select Enable Partial Payments to accept multiple payments for the invoice.
- Click Save Invoice to save the invoice as
draft. You can also click Finalize and Issue to save the invoice and
issueit to the selected customer.
Click All Invoices on the top ribbon to view the newly created invoice in the list of all the invoices. Know more about invoice states.
You can also create a customer while creating an invoice. Click +Create New Customer which opens up a pop-up page.
- Specify details of the customer, such as Company/Individual Name, Email, Contact No. and GSTIN.
- Select the Billing Address check box to specify the Billing Address.
- Next, specify the Shipping Address. If the Shipping Address is the same as Billing Address, select the Same as Billing Address check box.
- Click Create Customer.
The details of the newly created customer is auto-populated on the invoice draft. You can also click Edit Customer to make changes to the customer details. This customer will now be available to you for creating more invoices for this customer in future. This customer name is also displayed under the Customers menu.
Read More: Know more about customers.
You can also create a new item while creating an invoice. Click +Create new Item on the draft invoice which opens up a pop-up page. Specify details of the item, such as Name, Rate per unit and Description.
For GST-compliant invoices, specify additional details:
- Select the applicable Tax Rate for the item from the drop-down list. You cannot add tax rates for items created using international currencies.
- Add Cess to the order amount.
- Select Tax Inclusive if the item rate per unit includes the tax amount. Select Tax Exclusive if the taxes are in addition to the item rate per unit.
- Enter the 6-8 characters HSN or 2-6 characters SAC code of the item.
- Click Add Item.
When an item's attributes are modified while creating an invoice, the modified item cannot be reused. The item will then be referred as a Line item. In other words, a Line Item is created when an Item is used as a template, in order to customise its attributes.