Emails are sent to your customers at various important events such as:
- The start of the subscription.
- When a payment is successfully charged.
- When a payment fails.
- Action required by the customer in the event of a payment failure
- When the card linked to a subscription is changed or updated.
- When the details of a subscription (such as plan, quantity and/or billing frequency) are updated.
Razorpay sends emails to customers at 8 different stages during the life of a subscription. These are:
- This email is sent only in the case of Subscriptions via Links. This email is sent when you create and send a new subscription link to a customer for them to make the authentication payment. The authenticated amount depends on the
upfront_amountfor the subscriptions.
- This email is sent after the customer successfully makes the authentication payment.
- This email is sent when we make a successful automated charge on the subscription as per the billing cycle.
- This email is sent to the customer when the subscription moves to
completedstate. There is no completed email sent if the subscription moves from the
completedstate to the
completedstate. This is because the subscription is already completed and a charge was made on an older invoice.
- This email is sent when a charge on a card fails. When an automated charge on a subscription fails, we retry an auto-charge on the card. If the retries have not been exhausted, the subscription moves to the
pendingstate. We send out an email every time the subscription moves to the
pendingstate. The email contains an Update Card option that allows the customer to change the card linked to the subscription.
- This email is sent whenever a customer changes the card linked to the subscription. This email notifies the customer that their card has been successfully changed and that the new card details are now associated with the subscription.
- This email is sent when a manual charge is made on an old invoice of the subscription (either by you or the customer). If the subscription was in the halted state when the manual charge was done, we also mention that the subscription is now active and we would resume the automated charges from the next cycle onwards in the email.
- When an automated charge on a subscription fails, we retry an auto-charge on the card. When all the retries are exhausted, it moves to the
haltedstate. We send out an email every time the subscription moves to the
haltedstate. The email contains the Update Card option to change the card linked to the subscription.
- This email is sent when the subscription moves to
cancelledstate. This could be because you or the customer canceled the subscription.
- This email is sent when the subscription is successfully updated. There is no state change when a subscription is updated.