on recurring card payments which is applicable from 31 March 2021. Learn how these changes can affect your integration and how Razorpay solves this.
You can use Razorpay Subscriptions to set up and manage recurring payments. These recurring payments are payments that:
- You can charge as per a billing model defined that you define.
- Do not require any intervention from the customer as the process is automated.
You can automatically charge customers based on a billing cycle that you control. It allows you to easily create and manage Subscriptions and get instant alerts on payment activity as well as the status of Subscriptions.
Razorpay automatically handles the invoicing for all Subscriptions.
- Provide a on desktop Standard Checkout for UPI Autopay to collect Subscriptions payments. (April 2023)
Watch this video for an overview of Razorpay Subscriptions.
On-demand Feature: Recurring Payments
Razorpay offers an on-demand feature called Recurring Payments. This feature lets you manage subsequent payments of your customers and charge them depending on your business requirements. Contact our
for more information.
You must enable the Flash Checkout feature from the Razorpay Dashboard to proceed with Subscriptions.
Know more about the feature.
To enable the Flash Checkout feature:
- Log in to the and click Account & Settings in the left menu.
- Click Flash checkout under Checkout settings.
- Enable the Flash Checkout feature.
To process a subscription, customer card details must be secured/tokenised to process a subscription by Applicable Laws. Razorpay Checkout explicitly collects customer consent for tokenising the card to process e-mandate/subscription transactions.
As a fitness and well-being start-up, you would offer different fitness, nutrition, and mental well-being programs.
- For example, one of your customers may want to take a membership in one of your fitness programs. In this case, you may have to manually schedule debits for your customers.
- Using Razorpay Subscriptions, you can create a Plan and set up a mandate using cards to charge your customers on different frequencies for membership. This reduces the effort of scheduling debits manually. You can also run trials and offers and upgrade or downgrade the Plan as per your business needs.
Log in to the and click Subscriptions under PAYMENT PRODUCTS in the left menu. If you do not have a Razorpay account,.
Below are the steps to get started with Subscriptions:
A Plan is the base of a Subscription. A Plan contains all the information about the services, such as the amount and the billing cycle.
You can create a Subscription after creating a Plan. A Subscription contains Plan details, start date, number of billing cycles and other information.
Subscriptions does not require any intervention from the customer. It is an automated payment collection system that requires a one-time approval from the customer via an authentication transaction. The following points explain how a Subscription works:
- The customer’s approval is sought before recurring payments are collected. This approval process works like any normal payment with the 3D Secure authentication step. This is what we refer to as an authentication transaction.
- After the authentication transaction is successfully completed, the card is automatically charged at the start of every billing cycle.
- For every recurring payment, Razorpay automatically generates an invoice with customer and Subscription details along with your branding.
Subscription Payment Flow
Razorpay Subscriptions is based on Razorpay's existing
. If you are new to Razorpay, we recommend understanding this flow before proceeding.
Subscriptions supports three different billing models:
Fixed Schedule and Fixed Amount
The customer is charged a fixed amount at fixed intervals for a fixed quantity of goods or services. This is done by creating a Plan with a fixed amount and billing frequency and then creating a Subscription based on this Plan with no add-ons.
Fixed Schedule and Fixed Amount plus Add-ons
The customer is charged a fixed amount at fixed intervals but can avail of extra goods or services by paying an extra charge for them. This is done by creating a Plan with a fixed amount and billing frequency and then creating a Subscription based on this Plan. The extra goods or services availed can be added to the Subscription via add-ons.
Fixed Schedule and Variable Amount
The customer is charged at fixed intervals according to their usage in the defined time interval. Here, the Subscription amount and the quantity of the goods or services are not fixed. This is done by first creating a Plan with a fixed amount (this can be as low as ₹1.00) and a billing frequency. You proceed to create a Subscription based on this plan and charge the customer a variable amount based on their usage via add-ons.
You can use Subscriptions to accept payment in any of our . However, settlements are made in
INR. Refer to for more details.
Razorpay Subscriptions is supported on the following platforms: