To create an invoice, you must:
- Log into the Dashboard.
- Click Invoices → +Create Invoice.
- In Choose the Invoice Currency popup, select the currency of your choice from the dropdown menu and click Continue to Invoice.
- Select the invoice label from the Registered Name or Billing Name.
- Click Start Creating Invoices. A new invoice draft will be displayed with your Company Name and Logo, GSTIN, and CIN.
- On the New Invoice Draft, enter the Invoice number.
- Enter a brief description or Summary of the purchase.
- Under the BILLING TO field, select a customer by searching from the list of existing customers.
Razorpay gives you the flexibility to create Customers on-the-fly so that your billing is not interrupted while creating an invoice. New customers can be added by clicking +Add a new Customer on the draft invoice which opens a pop-up modal. You can enter basic details of the customer such as, Company/Individual Name, Email, Contact No., GSTIN and Billing Address in this modal. The newly added customers will be displayed in the Customers tab and can be reused in future invoices as well. To know more on how to create customers, refer the detailed Customers documentation.
- Enter the ISSUE DATE of the invoice. By default, it takes the present date.
- Click the calendar icon to select the EXPIRY DATE of the invoice.
- Under BILLING ADDRESS option, do the following:
- Add the Billing Address.
- Select the checkbox if Shipping Address is same as Billing Address, else enter the SHIPPING ADDRESS of the customer.
Once an address (billing or shipping) is added, it can be used later as either of the options.
- If the SHIPPING ADDRESS is same as the BILLING ADDRESS the same will be pre-filled. If the SHIPPING ADDRESS and BILLING ADDRESS are not same:
- Click Add Shipping Address.
- Click +Add new Address to enter the new address. The same will be added to the list of saved addresses.
- Enter the PLACE OF SUPPLY by searching for the State or Union Territory from the dropdown. This is a mandatory field as this will help determine the GST to be levied on the items.
The PLACE OF SUPPLY field is auto-filled using the SHIPPING ADDRESS.
- In the Add Item text field, click +Add a new Item.
- Enter the Name of the item.
- Enter the Unit Price. This can be in any of the supported international currencies.
- Enter a short Description of the item.
- Select the applicable Tax Rate for the item from the dropdown list.
You cannot add tax rates for items created using international currencies.
- You can Add Cess to the the order amount.
- Select your taxes imposed to be Inclusive or Exclusive of the order amount as per your business requirements.
If the PLACE OF SUPPLY/SHIPPING ADDRESS is of a different state from the BILLING ADDRESS, the tax will be computed as IGST else it will be divided into CGST and SGST.
- Enter the 8-Character HSN or *SAC code of the item.
- Click Add Item.
- Specify the quantity(QTY) of the item.
Tip:You can add multiple items in the same manner by clicking Add Line Item. To Remove Item click the cancel button beside the added item.
To edit an existing Item, search from the list of previously created items and click Edit. This will open an Edit Item window, where you will be shown the same options as in +Add a new Item.
To know more on how to create Items, refer the detailed Items documentation.
- In the Add Customer Notes (Optional) field, you can enter additional details if any. You can add a maximum of 2048 characters in this field.
- In the Add Terms and Conditions (Optional) field, you can enter additional details if any. You can add a maximum of 2048 characters in this field.
- Select Enable Partial Payments to accept multiple payments for the invoice.
Change the Currency:
While creating an invoice, click Change Currency to select from the supported international currencies. On selecting the required currency, the rate of all the line items in the current invoice will be reset to 0.
If the invoice is created using any of the supported international currencies, it is recommended to create the Items in the corresponding currency.
You can create an invoice with minimal details and save it in the Draft state. After adding the necessary information, you can finalize and issue the same to the customer.
- Click Create Invoice.
- Select the currency of your choice from the dropdown menu in the Choose the Invoice Currency pop-up.
- In the Billing To field, select the customer to whom the invoice should be issued.
- In the Line Item pane, add the item along with the price and the quantity.
- Click Save Invoice, if you do not want to issue the invoice immediately.
- If you are sure about all the fields, click Finalize and Issue to send the invoice to the customer.
- You can choose to send the invoice either by SMS or email or both by selecting the mobile number and email address.
- Click Issue Invoice.
Once created, the invoice appear on the list of previously created ones.
The filled invoice creation screen appears as shown below:
When an item's attributes are modified at the time of invoice creation, the modified item cannot be reused. The item will then be referred as a Line item. In other words, a Line Item is created when an Item is used as a template, in order to customize its attributes.