What is UPI ID?
UPI ID, also known as Unified Payment Interface ID, is a unique identifier used in the UPI system for facilitating digital transactions. It acts as an identification address for users to send and receive money seamlessly.
What is UPI ID example?
UPI is a unique identifier for bank accounts in India.
“abcdef” can be your name, email address, or mobile number and ‘@ybl and @okicici’ are your bank’s initials.
Related Read: What is UPI and How it Works?
Features of UPI payments
UPI payment apps offer a simple solution to a very basic problem. Some of the features of this mode of payment include:
UPI, launched by NPCI, offers reliable payment transfers without the risk of money loss due to internet fluctuations or issues with websites or portals.
UPI enables instant transfers, allowing customers to send payments to beneficiaries within seconds, making daily activities like buying groceries or paying friends easier.
UPI offers options for transactions without a smartphone or internet, allowing individuals from all sections of society to participate. Regional language support further simplifies the process.
No minimum transaction limit:
UPI has no minimum transaction limit, making it suitable for small transactions. Additionally, UPI transactions currently do not have any transaction charges, enhancing convenience.
How to create a UPI ID?
To create a UPI ID, you can follow these steps:
Register your bank account and mobile number with UPI-enabled apps such as Google Pay, PhonePe, Paytm, Mobikwik, and others. This registration process can be completed using any UPI-enabled bank app or the Bharath Interface for Money (BHIM) app.
Create a UPI ID in BHIM App
- Step 1: Download the BHIM app or any other application that accepts UPI
- Step 2: While using the BHIM app, after choosing your preferred language and “accepting” various prompts, you will receive a “Verify Mobile Number” request.
- Step 3: After the verification process is done, you will be asked to select your preferred bank name.
- Step 4: Details such as bank name, the IFSC code, and account number will be automatically received by the app. In case you have more than one account added to the same mobile number, you can select your desired account to link to the app.
- Step 5: You have to set a UPI ID and a 4 digit or 6 digit PIN to keep all your transactions safe. Now, you are all set to proceed with your UPI transactions!
A *99# service has been launched to take the banking services to every common man across the country. Banking customers can avail of this service by dialing *99#.
Related Read – What is IFSC Code?
Registering through *99#
- Step 1: Dial and call ”*99#” on your phone
- Step 2: Select your preferred language
- Step 3: Enter your bank’s name or the first 4 digits of your IFSC code
- Step 4: Choose your bank account
- Step 5: Enter the last 6 digits and the expiry date of your debit card
- Step 6: Enter and set your UPI pin
- Step 7: Confirm your UPI pin and you are good to go!
How to find UPI ID?
To find your UPI ID, open the UPI app on your phone and click on the three lines in the top left corner. Select “Profile” and your UPI ID will be displayed at the top of the screen.
Find UPI ID in BHIM app:
- Step 1: Log in with your app password
- Step 2: On the main screen, select the “Profile” option from the drop-down menu. Now, you can view your UPI ID with your QR Code.
Find UPI ID in Google Pay
- Step 1: Open Google Pay
- Step 2: Tap your photo on the top right
- Step 3: Tap Bank Account
- Step 4: Tap the bank account associated with the UPI ID
- Step 5: You will find the associated UPI ID under UPI IDs
How to change UPI ID?
Under the Settings section, select UPI ID. You will then be able to enter your new UPI ID.
Change UPI ID in BHIM app
- Step 1: Open the BHIM app and tap on your profile
- Step 2: Tap the Settings option
- Step 3: You will find an option to edit your UPI ID
- Step 4: After making the necessary changes to your ID, tap on Confirm
Change UPI ID inGoogle Pay
- Step1: Open Google Pay
- Step 2: Tap your profile photo
- Step 3: Tap Payment Methods
- Step 4: Tap the bank account whose UPI ID you want to view
- Step 5: Tap the UPI ID associated with your desired bank account
- Step 6: Tap the ‘+’ icon next to the UPI ID you desire
How to use your UPI ID?
The UPI ID or VPA is what you share with your customers or family when they need to make payments to you. It is the detail that you can use instead of sharing your bank account number.
Picture this: When you wish to send a text message, you must first enter a name or number in the recipient’s section. The UPI ID functions the same way.
If you wish to send funds to someone, you just need their UPI ID and not even their bank account number. Just enter their UPI ID into your app and initiate the payment.
If you are a small business owner and wish to accept payments using UPI, check out the link below.
Frequently asked questions:
Who started UPI?
UPI has been developed by The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and regulated by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). It was launched by NPCI on 11th April 2016 and was publicly launched on 25th August 2016.
What is the full form of UPI ID?
UPI ID stands for Unified Payments Interface Identity
How do I find my UPI ID?
A UPI ID is a unique identifier that you can use to send and receive money on UPI. Think of it as a unique portal that you can use to transfer money.
Is UPI ID unique?
UPI IDs are generally different for different apps. Your UPI ID may differ according to the bank you have linked the account with.
What details are required for UPI?
To use UPI, you must have a bank account with a member bank, i.e., your bank should allow you to use the UPI feature. Furthermore, your mobile number must be registered with your bank account.
How do I recover my UPI pin?
Login to BHIM App - Click on Bank Account after which you will be shown the accounts you’ve linked on BHIM below which you can reset your UPI PIN. (Please keep your Debit Card details handy to reset your UPI pin.)