Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Find answers to frequently asked questions about Recurring Payments using Emandate.
Following is the registration flow of the NPCI ENACH:
Following is the registration flow of Emanate with Razorpay’s direct bank partnerships
Yes, you can share the below video with customersto understand the registration flow.
To improve the Emandate registration user experience for your customers:
- Before customers proceed with the authorisation transaction, you can display a message asking your customers to keep their netbanking credentials handy. This will help prevent time-out at the checkout.
- Inform your customers that there might be a ₹1 or ₹2 deduction during the authorisation transaction. This amount will be refunded to your customer in 3-5 bank working days.
For all mandates registered under ENACH, NPCI offers a facility to cancel the mandates which are either not in use or are requested by the customers to be cancelled.
You can initiate cancellation and track the status by following these steps:
- Delete the mandate token using
- Razorpay will initiate cancellation for the deleted tokens on the next working day.
- On acknowledgement from NPCI for cancellation, you will receive a 'Token Cancelled'
Razorpay will take care of your scheduled debits if you use our Subscriptions services.
Know more about
It may be a temporary issue of bank downtime on NPCI. If you see this as a consistent issue for more than 24 hours, raise a support ticket from your merchant dashboard.
Following are the supported account types for online Emandates:
- If your customer is a sole proprietor of the business, they can register their Emandates using the
- Suppose your customer’s business has a corporate cash-credit account. In that case, they can only register using Physical NACH, where we have an option of
cash creditaccounts for mandate registrations.
Joint accounts have multiple modes of operation. Suppose the customer trying to set up the mandate has access to operate the account without the joint account holder’s consent (mode of operation on account as
either or survivor or
anyone or survivor). In that case, they can register the mandates.
However, if both joint holders’ approval is required for operating the account, then such account holders cannot register with Emandates.
Customers need to ensure the following while registering for emandates:
- Have the details for the selected mode of authentication.
- NetBanking: Login and Password
- Debit Card: Card Number, Expiry and Debit Card PIN
- Aadhaar: Aadhaar Number and Registered mobile number as on Aadhaar
- Ensure the bank account used for authentication with NetBanking or Debit Card is the same as the account number used for registration. For Aadhaar based authentication, ensure to map the Aadhaar Number to the bank account on which the mandate is being registered.
- Maintain average monthly balance in the bank account where the mandate is being registered.
- Ensure that the selected bank account is in the
You can refer to the
You should collect the following information from the customer:
- Customer Name
- Account Number
- IFSC Code
- Account Type
- Bank Name
13. I have recently signed up with Razorpay, and my Razorpay account balance is ₹0. I cannot capture my payments, and they are stuck in the
authorized state. What should I do?
As there is no payment at the time of Emandate registrations, you need to have a sufficient balance in your Razorpay account to pay the transaction charges for registrations.
We recommend you top up your Razorpay account with a minimum amount to take care of registration charges until you start generating continuous cash flow via Razorpay.
14. How do I enable Aadhaar as an auth type for emandates? Do I need to make changes in my Integration to use the aadhaar emandate?
Aadhaar emandate is available only on request. Raise a request on our
After it is enabled on your account, pass
auth_type=aadhaar in the existing emandate APIs.
You cannot modify or edit a mandate that has already been created. In this case, you need to create a new mandate for the user if any changes need to be made.
Razorpay supports eSign as an
Following is the debit presentment flow of the NPCI ENACH:
You can set the maximum amount while initiating registrations for your customers. The maximum amount varies depending on the authentication mode using which customers want to set up the mandate.
If you do not set a limit for the mandate, the maximum limit defaults to ₹1,00,00,000 for Emandates.
The following table lists the auth types and their maximum limit allowed for Emandates.
|Auth Type||Maximum Allowed Limit|
Know more about setting the
3. Is there a cooling period for customers registered via NPCI ENACH for initiating the first debit after completing the registration process?
The registrations are instant with NPCI ENACH, and you can initiate debits immediately.
But there are instances where the issuing bank (customer’s bank) has not completed the registration at their end, and they can take up to 5 days to complete this process.
We have observed that most debits get cleared even when presented as soon as the registration is complete. But we recommend waiting for 5 days before you retry after a failed debit.
4. For Emandates, how long does it take a subsequent charge to move from the
created state to the
In the case of Emandate, the process varies from bank to bank. If the Emandate is setup using Netbanking login, it can take up to 2 working days for payment authorization.
|Method||Bank||TAT Guidelines||TAT Examples|
|Emandate||ICICI Bank||Real-time||If you create a debit request at 9 am, the debit happens immediately in real-time.|
|Emandate||Axis||Same day||If you create a debit request at 9 am, the debit happens on the same day within the banking hours.|
|Emandate||HDFC Bank||T+1 working days||If you create a debit request at 9 am, the debit happens within the next 24 hours (i.e., 9 am on the following day)|
|Emandate||State Bank of India||T+1 working days||If you create a debit request at 9 am, the debit happens within the next 24 hours (i.e., 9 am on the following day)|
|Emandate||All Banks under NPCI ENACH||Same day||If you create a debit request at 9 am, the debit happens on the same day within the banking hours.|
To ensure same-day debit authorization, Razorpay must receive the request by 8:59 am on a bank working day.
Customer account debits for Emandates registered with NPCI ENACH will be done on all days, including weekends and public holidays.
However, settlements for the debit payments captured on weekends and public holidays will only be made on the next working day as per your settlement schedule.
6. I am getting an error saying
Customer has to refer to branch to complete registration while initiating debits for my customers?
This issue occurs when the bank has not completed the registration at their end. For such cases, you can retry debit after 5 working days. If this issue persists, inform your customers to contact their bank and get their mandate approved.
7. I am getting an error saying
Payment failed because emandate is cancelled or inactive while presenting debits for my customers?
This failure can occur for 2 reasons:
- When the first debit is presented within a few days after registration. This means that the bank has not completed the mandate setup. You can retry after 5 days of the first failure in such cases.
- When the debit is presented more than a month after registration, then it means that the customers have cancelled the mandate by approaching their bank. In such cases, you will need to ask customers to register a new mandate.
8. The payment status for debit presentment says
authorized, and I have not received a settlement for this payment yet. Why?
If the first attempt fails, you can retry after 3 days from getting the confirmation or rejection of the last payment, as it may take more than 24 hours.
- If the charge fails on 1 November 2023 and you receive the confirmation, you can retry the attempt on 4 November 2023.
- If the charge fails on 1 November 2023 and you receive the confirmation on 2 November 2023, you can retry the attempt on 5 November 2023.
Yes, we will charge for failed debit attempts after the prescribed retries. Please contact the
The feature, Charging Customers During Registration, is available only on emandate via netbanking.
The feature, Charging Customers During Registration, is only supported by HDFC and ICICI.
3. How is this feature, Charging Customers During Registration, different from the First Payment Amount feature?
First Payment Amount:
The customer is not immediately charged. First, the mandate is registered. We automatically charge the customer the first payment amount only after the mandate is successfully registered.
Charging Customers During Registration:
The first charge will be automatically debited after NPCI confirms the mandate. The amount will be debited from the customer's account 24 to 36 h after the token is confirmed.
Was this page helpful?