Are you an entrepreneur looking to expand your business globally? If so, accepting international payments is a crucial step towards achieving that goal. However, navigating the complex world of cross-border transactions can be daunting for even the most experienced business owners.
Luckily, Razorpay has made it easier than ever to accept payments from customers all over the world. In this blog, we’ll break down the requirements for accepting international payments through Razorpay and everything you need to know to get started!
Introduction to Razorpay International Payments
Razorpay is a global payment gateway that allows businesses to accept payments from over 100 currencies and counting. Based on your requirement, you can collect international payments via cards, local payment methods (e.g, Trustly, Sofort and Giropay) or local bank transfers.
Eligibility Requirements for Accepting International Payments
To accept international payments through Razorpay, you will need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must be a registered merchant with Razorpay. If you are a freelancer, we would recommend linking your PayPal account to your Razorpay account.
- You must be fully activated on domestic payments with Razorpay.
- Your website must have the following policies in place:
- About Us:
- Add your registered name, details of business and vintage to set context on who you are as a company.
- Contact Us:
- Make sure you are reachable by your customers by adding: registered name, registered and operating address (verifiable by google), website address should be from India, contact number and email ID.
- Shipping policy:
- Shipment terms are mandatory as details like International delivery timelines, courier service and shipping cost, can help build confidence with your customers.
- Refund and cancellation policy:
- Customers appreciate transparency. Hence, adding clear instructions on obtaining refunds, what to expect when requesting a refund, time-frame for refunds and various scenarios should be mentioned.
- In case of Returns & Exchange (if applicable): Instructions on returning goods, including timelines post delivery and eligibility details must be mentioned.
- Terms and Conditions:
- Having T&C convinces a customer that the business owner is responsible and legitimate.
- Ensure you cover delivery of goods or provision of a service, details of customer support and dispute resolution in accordance with terms & applicable laws.
- Providing clear information on what personal details are collected, with whom it will be shared, the security features in place to safeguard the information, etc. is mandatory.
- About Us:
4. If you are already serving international customers, showcasing records of your business will help us convince our banking partners for approval. So please feel free to share either one of these:
- Invoices: This should showcase the services you sell to international customers
- Bank statements: This should showcase payments received from international customers
- FIRS/ FIRA: This showcases international transactions recorded by your bank
- Settlement report of your current payments provider: This should contain international transactions collected using the platform.
5. Razorpay has a few certificate requirements for certain business categories:
- IATA: If you are in the aviation industry
- FCRA: If you collect donations from overseas
- FSSAI: If you offer food and beverages
- Ayush certificate: If you sell ayurvedic healthcare products
- FEMA/FFMC: If you are a forex company
- BIS Hallmark/916 Hallmark/925 Hallmark/GII: If you sell metals, watches or jewelry.
- TRAI: If you are internet provider for overseas
- RERA: If you are in real estate
- Gaming addendum certificate: If you sell games to overseas customers.
We recommend mentioning these on your website. It will help in building trust with your global customers.
How to Apply for International Payments
Here is a step-by-step guide on applying for international payments with Razorpay:
- Log into your Razorpay account
- Navigate to “Payment Methods”
- Choose “International Payments”
- Click on the “Request” button
- Fill in all the details (bear in mind, if inaccurate information is provided you run the risk of being rejected)
- Click on “Submit”
- Our team will get back to you within 5 working days
What happens after applying
In 5 working days, our team will get in touch with you with an update. Please keep in mind, we may ask for more documents, so keep an eye on your inbox for emails from us. In case you miss it, you will lose the opportunity to be approved for accepting international payments.
If you’ve been approved, you can immediately begin accepting payments internationally!
If you’ve not been approved, don’t worry! Here are 2 things you can do:
- You can reapply in either 90 days or the next day based on reasons why you have been rejected, but ensure you have the correct details this time around!
- You can link PayPal and immediately start accepting international payments .
In summary, businesses must ensure that they have all the necessary documentation and website details in order. It’s easy to start accepting payments from customers around the world with Razorpay!
If you’re looking for more information on international payments by Razorpay, here are some additional resources: